When cleaning your rugs you need to take special care especially with some delicate materials such as silk. Damage can easily be caused to fabrics especially if you use harsh detergents or unsuitable cleaning tools. Money and time can be saved by taking your rugs to a professional cleaner or booking a professional cleaning company to come to your home. This is by far the most effective method of looking after your rugs and these companies have insurance so if anything were to happen to your rug you would be compensated.
Basic Tips for Keeping Your Rugs Looking Great
- If you can, rotate your rugs at least once a year so that the effects of the sun are evened out on your rug fabric. Your could also consider swapping rugs from one room to another. This is a great idea if you have rugs that complement one another in different rooms as a new look can be created instantly.
- Try to avoid direct exposure to sunlight as this will cause fading and colours to become less vibrant.
- Clean up any spills as quickly as you can to ensure they do not get ground in where they will start to cause fading and be more difficult to remove.
- Hoover your rugs at least twice a week to remove dirt, dust and any allergens that may be lurking in the fibres. Traditional methods of hanging your rug out on the washing line and banging it will actually damage your rug's fibres quite quickly. A gentle run over with the hoover is by far the most effective method of cleaning your rugs regularly.
- Arrange a deep clean of your rugs at least once a year by professional means. You can choose to hire a professional cleaning company or hire a rug cleaning machine that you can use yourself.
- The use of adhesive pads underneath your rug will also help to protect your rug from slippage, dirt and general wear. Choose good quality pads with lots of padding for the best results.
- Always lay rugs on a smooth surface and cut loose tufts that become uneven. Never pull the tufts as you will damage the fabric causing holes and other issues.
- The deeper the pile the more important it is to clean your rug fully so that all dirt is lifted from deep down in your rug. This can be difficult as dirt can get right to the bottom of fibres. Shaking out your rug before hoovering can help as we as the use of a carpet shampoo to loosen and remove stubborn dirt and stains.
- Another good way to protect your interior rugs and carpets is to place a course doormat by your front and back door to minimise the amount of dirt that is brought through your house. As mentioned earlier it is also a good idea to remove your shoes and ask guests to remove their shoes before entering living areas. Keeping a shoe rack or mat near the front door will ensure that shoes remain tidy and that guests are encouraged to cooperate in order to help you keep a clean home.
- Carpet indentations can mark your rugs permanently. To avoid this try to move furniture around a little. Stubborn marks can be removed simply by dabbing an ice cube on it. The fibres will spring back again quite quickly.
- Professional cleaning can be expensive so to save a little money why not interchange between do it yourself cleaning and professional cleaning. Just be sure to use the right products, and not to over-shampoo or over-wet your area rug. Also don't place furniture onto wet rugs as this can damage the fibres.
- Always have holes and tears repaired by a professional. They have the skills and tools necessary to restore your rug back to perfect condition.
- One thing to note when washing any machine-made rugs is that they will shed large rolls of fluff on the first few cleans. This is perfectly normal and nothing to worry about.
As you can see, there are many ways to protect your rugs and keep them looking their best for longer. Rugs vary in price greatly, but we are sure you will want to protect your purchase from unnecessary wear and tear and keep it looking clean and making your home inviting and a place people want to be.