Things to consider:
When deciding on a rug for any area of the house, there are certain essential key points to consider such as:
- The Right Size
Measure the space you want the rug to fill before searching for a rug. This is a great way to filter your options down to only rugs that are suitable to fit your space.
- Easy to Clean
You want a rug that is easy to clean. Some of the easiest rugs to clean include Sheepskin and Flokati Wool Rugs as these can usually just be shaken outside or brushed clean. If something is spilt on them and caused a stain, you can either handwashed using a wool friendly shampoo, or machine wash (on a cold wash).
- Complimentary Style
You want to find a colour and style of rug that is going to compliment the look of your room. You will want colours that blend well with the room and accessories. Check out our blog on the latest colour trends for more information.
- Right Material for Purpose
I believe that the most important thing to consider when buying a rug is the material. You will want to think what the purpose of the rug is and what materials will meet that purpose. For example, a hallway or living room rug needs to be durable as it will be walked over regularly. See a short guide below:
|Durability Required||Material||Suggested Product|
(Ideal for Hallways & Living Rooms)
Wool, Sheepskin, Hemp, Polypropylene, Sisal, Bamboo Slat
Hand knotted or flat woven rugs with a low pile will handle the most wear and tear.
(Best used in areas that dont get so much footfall, such as; bedrooms, secondary living areas)
Viscose, Medium Density Wool
Hallway rugs are an important welcome to your home for yourself and any guests. It should give you that 'Home Sweet Home' feeling and introduce guests to your personality as well as your home. A hallway rug can say a lot about you.
- Your rug should be proportional to the space and nearby furnishings in your hallway.
- Choose a rug that complements the decor in your hallway. Does it fit well with any surrounding furniture?
- If you’re looking for a standout hallway rug, a unique pattern will immediate attention.
- You and guests will constantly be walking over the hallway rug so you need to choose a rug made of highly durable material. Wool, sisal, bamboo slat, seagrass, hemp and polypropylene are all fantastic options for a hallway rug.
- Over time your hallway rug is bound to get dirty with the use it gets. Therefore, you really want a material that is easy to clean. Wool rugs can often be brushed out to clean them. Or you could pick a short pile rug that can be vaccumed to clean.
There is so much you can do with a rug in your bedroom to stamp your own personal style on the room. Would you like a large area rug poking out from under the bed? Or would runner rugs either side of the bed be more your style? Maybe just a rug at the foot of the bed? Whichever style takes your fancy, you will want to look for a durable material that will last.
- Colour scheme! Are you going for a contrasting colour that stands out or a natural colour that goes with everything? Match a colourful rug with accessories such as cushions or a throw.
- Material - This is where your soft wool and sheepskin rugs are best used. Wonderfully cosy underfoot, and they add warmth and style to a bedroom.
You may not instinctively think of a rug for your garden or patio, but it really can liven up an outdoor space.
- Multipurpose - If you can find an rug you like which can be used indoors in a conservatory, moved outdoors during summer and also be used as a picnic blanket or beach mat then you are getting an awful lot of use for your money. Check out our indoor/outdoor rugs for more information.
- Material - Multipurpose use requires your outdoor rug to be durable, easy to clean, waterproof and lightweight. Recycled plastic is perfect as it meets all the requirements and is environmentally friendly.
- Lightweight -A lightweight rug offers you the benefit of being able to move it with ease.